Sunday, May 2, 2010

"Choose Ye This Day Whom Ye Will Serve"

This post should be more uplifting than my last.


I had the wonderful opportunity to attend the BYU Women's Conference this past weekend.

It was just what I needed to motivate me to do better in my life; not only spiritually, but also as a mother and wife.

This was my first time attending the conference, but hopefully not my last.I attended some great sessions about marriage, motherhood, and living a righteous life.

One thing that really stood out to me was a title to one of the sessions which was, "Choose Your Love, Love Your Choice". I didn't understand what it meant at first. It means that we choose the people we want to be around and love (especially our spouses) and once we have made this choice than the Lord requires us to do everything in our power to love them.

I was also reminded that I need to do more to serve others and be less selfish.

Elder Dallin H. Oaks spoke at the closing session and he stated that, "We should not preoccupy ourselves with a bad hair day. Don't let it stop us from serving and doing good". This is so true. I always get caught up in my imperfections all the time; not realizing that it has been keeping me from serving others.

A few pictures from the weekend:

Katie sitting at the Wilkinson Center
Mom and her cousin Lisa


Naomi and I

We went to an awesome concert the first night. We were dead tired, though, and so Naomi was showing how she felt.

My mom and I were able to get a picture with Alex Boye
I mentioned above that we went to a concert. There were a lot of artists who performed including: Michael McLean, Hilary Weeks, The Fab Five (cloggers who were on America's Got Talent), and Alex Boye.

I don't know if any of you are familiar with Alex Boye. He is British and was in the teen pop sensation "Awesome". I know... dorky band name. He moved to the U. S. in 2000 and is now a member of the Mormon Tabernacle Choir. He is also an excellent dancer.

A picture of the whole gang. We met up at the conference with my mom's aunt, 4 cousins, and two of their children. Most of them live in Montana and I haven't seen them for a long time. It was great to get to know them! From left to right: Cassy, Abby, Naomi, Mom, Murlene, Me, Lisa, Katie, Cammy, Linda, and Lelani.

I hope to be able to come again next year. Any one who wants to join us, feel free to come. It was a spiritual and uplifting experience. I plan on changing a lot in my life to gain better relationships with God, family, and friends.

My only piece of advice if you do go: Get more then 3 hours of sleep the night before the Conference. You will be able to enjoy it more and won't be walking zombies. (The BYU campus is huge and you do a lot of walking). We learned that lesson the hard way.

Thanks to my Dad and Chris for watching the boys. You are awesome! :)

P.S. I still can't figure out why the pictures are spaced so far apart. If any one knows why, let me know. Thanks.

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Fun fun! I think Elder Oaks also said, "In the eternal scheme of things, where does a bad hair day fit in?" I'm glad we got to go. Next year we won't be dorky "freshman" and we'll know what we're doing! :)

Chris Gamble said...

I'm glad you had fun with your sisters and mom (Plus other newfound relatives), but next time I think it's okay if you go by yourself so you can get enough sleep.

Now that you're learning to be a better wife, I guess I better start being a better husband...by baking more cookies and more loaves of bread. How does that sound? Now give me some cookie. :-)