Sunday, March 20, 2011

Renactment

On March 27th Chris and I will have known each other for 7 years.

We met on a blind date.

Yesterday we decided to relive our first date.

I don't remember as much as I would like to of our first date.

I do remember that my cousin Ashley was trying to set me up with a different guy, but then he couldn't come and so I told her not to worry about it and that I didn't need to go.

Well, then my cousin Josh found his friend Chris Gamble to go with me.

I had been on 4 other blind dates before so I wasn't extremely nervous... until I got to Josh and Steph's house. Chris was "hiding" in the basement when I got there. It's always weird when you meet your blind date for the first time. You have no clue what they are going to look like or what they will be like.

I remember that I was the chauffeur for the date. I drove my awesome Ford Explorer because we could fit all six of us in it. We started out with small talk... and I soon found out that Chris was unemployed; well, in his defense he was between jobs and was going to start a new job the next week. That is all I remember about our conversation in the car. Chris and I always joke about how this is a good way to start out a date by telling the other person that you don't have a job.

We ate dinner at The Old Spaghetti Factory at Trolley Square. I don't remember anything expect that Strawberry Lemonade came out my nose. I don't recommend laughing and drinking at the same time.

After dinner we stopped at the Tesoro Gas Station on Beck Street in North Salt Lake. I think I had to get gas. Then we went to the Walmart in Harrisville and walked around for an hour. I don't even remember why we went there. We did sit on one of the couches and stare at the camera in the ceiling. Good times.

I honestly can't remember what we did after that. I think we went back to Josh and Steph's house and either played a game or watched a movie. Do you remember Ashley? I wish I would've written this stuff sooner.

Anyways, we might never have seen each other again, but I stayed over at Ashley's house that night and went to church with her on Sunday. Ash's mom asked me if I wanted Josh to invite Chris over for dinner.

Chris came over. He spilled red punch on their tablecloth. I spilled chicken on my shirt. Chris ate it off my shirt. We went to a Jericho Road fireside. We sorta held hands. Chris got up the courage to ask me out again.... and the rest is history (well, we obviously went on a lot more dates before we tied the knot).

I don't have any pictures of us on our first date, but my Aunt did take a picture of us at dinner that Sunday. I will scan it soon and then you can see how young we look.

Back to yesterday:

We reenacted our date a week early because we had a babysitter and when you have kids you can't pass up those opportunities.

We first went to Home Depot. We walked around without the kids driving us nuts and we talked about different things we want to do to our house.

We then went to IKEA. I wanted to buy everything, but we were good and just window shopped.

Next we arrived at the Spaghetti Factory. We only had to wait about five minutes. We were seated in the trolley. I was excited to sit there, but then I realized that it was pretty crammed. So, we can say that we have eaten in the trolley car, but never want to do it again.

My handsome hubby

I love spumoni! Can you tell my hair is darker? Thanks Chelsea for coloring it. I will show a close picture of it once I get a picture.

Sadly...Strawberry Lemonade did not come out my nose, but we had a really enjoyable time strolling down memory lane.

On our way home we obviously had to stop at Walmart. Their furniture is up high now, so we couldn't sit on a couch. We went over to Lawn and Garden thinking we could sit on a patio chair, but they have those up high now too. They must have gotten sick of people making out on them.

I remembered that they usually have benches by the pharmacy and so we headed over there and sat on one for a couple of minutes.



I bet people thought we were weird taking a picture of ourselves on a Walmart bench. They just don't understand that it holds sentimental meaning to us. Ha ha.

I can't believe we have known each other for 7 years. I also can't imagine that we went most of our life not knowing each other. But now we are family... And we have a lot to show for our 7 years together. Most importantly... we have created 3 adorable boys.

It has been a rocky road at times, but I am certainly enjoying the ride.

I love you Chrissy.


What did you do on your first date with your spouse?

P.S. My baby has started crawling. He is getting into eveything!

9 comments:

Barbie Mills said...

Kyle and I met hiking waterfall canyon for a singles' ward FHE activity. I was also between jobs. It's funny you mentioned that, because I was just wondering last night what he thought of the fact that I wasn't employed at the time.

When we got to the waterfall Kyle got some M&M's out of his backpack, and I told him that if he shared them with me, I'd be his best friend. I guess it worked!

Cute story--thanks for sharing.

Ellis said...

I really liked hearing your first date story. I remember being in Dr. Ascione's class with you (or maybe it was just Addie) and hearing stories about you and Chris. How fun to reenact it!

I really like your dark hair - it looks great on you! And I can't believe Colin is crawling! Camden isn't mobile yet and I like it that way! Good luck!

The Dance Source said...

We went to chili's for dinner, then bowling after that, where Aaron pretended that he couldn't bowl well and let me win the first game. Then we went and sat on a bench overlooking Logan and the Temple and talked for a Long time, until the house next to the bench turned thier sprinklers on to chase us away.

I can't believe it's been seven years Crazy! Congrats! :)

Correction though, it wasn't a lot more dates before you got engaged! :) LOL

Melanie said...

How cute...awwwww! And I love your hair. It's way cute also! Dave took me to the state fair, then ice skating and we topped it all of by getting slurpees for our first date. We go to the state fair every year and have also recreated our first date. So much fun! Was that in 2003?

DJ said...

well! let me tell you!!!! DJ came over to my house and we "hung out" for like 6 hours...we were watching movies and talking so much and then dj kissed me and then just wanted to keep kissing all night...i guess he was glad to be home from a mission...lol...we finally had a "first date" like month later and we went to olive garden and shopping!

o by the way your hair is adorable and the lowlights around you face are beautiful!!!

Chris Gamble said...

Thanks for this post Nano. We had a lot of fun both times. I'm glad that we met each other, had a great first day, and are married to you. It's hard to believe we have been together for so long. Well I love you and let's do more "first" dates again.

Love you,

Chris

Melanie said...

So fun to read! Wow Chris has been spilling red punch on table cloths for a long time! LOL

I'm having a hard time pinpointing mine and dad's first date. We were friends for awhile before we dated and we had a long distance relationship so everytime he came to Montana was like a date. The first time we held hands though was at a Jerry Lewis telethon in Butte, Montana.

The Van Tassells said...

Ha ha, not only was it fun to read about YOUR first date, but also to read about everyone else's first dates, so thanks for asking the question!

I personal think you should have tried to reenact the pink lemonade coming out of your nose :) lol.

That's so fun that you got to reenact your first date! I keep hoping for a dance at USU that we can go to so we can reenact ours, but that hasn't happened yet.

For ours, Raulon asked me over the intercom at work in a poem to go to the USU Homecoming dance with him... I was SO embarrassed and though he was weird! At the dance he held my hand which freaked me out because I didn't know him and then he introduced me to somebody as "Jamie?" Ouch! Ha ha, needless to say our second date, which was actually just a Sunday walk, turned out MUCH better!

Congrats on the seven years! :) Love you guys! So glad to be a part of your family!

The Adams Family said...

I don't remember what we did after dinner and walmart. Sorry I'm not very much help in remembering! I do remember the basics even though they are a little blurry! I remember dinner and the lemonade:) and I remember goofing around at walmart, but don't remember why we went there:) I remember the next day at dinner and chris eating the chicken off your arm:) and then the fireside I remember we were sitting on the stage...I think you and chris were holding hands???Congrats on the 7 years! Thats awesome! On our first date, Jason and I went to see a movie, got ice cream and ate it by the duck pond and went to a carnival! In April it will be 6 years since our first date:)