Friday, August 28, 2009

Refrigerator Meltdown

Ethan is the typical 3 year old. He loves to get into mischief and then act like he didn't do anything.

When we came home last Friday evening from pickin
g Chris up from the airport we walked in our house (I had been at my parent's for a couple of days) and were met by an awful smell coming from our refrigerator. We looked inside and couldn't figure out what it was. We thought maybe it was milk or cottage cheese. We threw those away, but the smell still didn't go away. Later on, when the boys were in bed, we decided we were hungry and opened the freezer to find something to eat. It was then that we realized what the smell was. Our whole freezer full of raw meat had thawed out! Ethan had turned off the temperature control to zero again!

Our temperature control is at the very front of our fridge making it easy for a little boy to play with it. He has turned it off on many occasions, but we have always caught it before anything started going bad. If you are ever going to buy a new fridge then I would recommend making sure the temperature control is out of a child's reach.
We laughed about it a little. We were also understandably upset because meat is expensive.

We settled on popcorn, watched a movie, and went to bed. The next morning I'm half asleep when Chris wakes me up to tell me that every
thing in the fridge has gone bad too, because I guess when Ethan got up during the middle of the night he was rummaging through the fridge and thought it would be funny to turn the fridge to zero, also. That little stinker!

I think Ethan was just trying to tell us in his own way that it was way past time to clean out our fridge/freezer. We spent that Saturday scrubbing it down. We also made an expensive trip to the grocery store to restock pretty much everything. We also picked up an item that every parent with a 3 ye
ar old must buy: DUCT TAPE! No, its not for his hands. We aren't that mean. We used it to solve the temperature control problem...so far. Our food has been safe for a week now. :)

5 comments:

By Suzy Carlson said...

Oh boy. That sucks. Did the smell ever go away? That happened to us with a freezer full of fish and it still stinks.

Nanette said...

It took a couple of days, but the smell eventually went away. A lot of the stuff that we threw away in the fridge wasn't because it went bad, but because the smell of the meat had seaped into it. Nasty!

The Rigbys said...

Oh, goodness! Kids are quite the adventure. I think 3 year olds are the worst.

Chris Gamble said...

I love my kids. I love my kids. They are good kids. They are good kids. I love my kids. I love my kids. They are good kids. They are good kids.I love my kids. I love my kids. They are good kids. They are good kids.I love my kids. I love my kids. They are good kids. They are good kids.I love my kids. I love my kids. They are good kids. They are good kids.

Melanie said...

I think you should get Ethan a job pushing buttons, to satisfy his desire to push buttons and turn dials.